Jeanette's Links
At Risk at Being a Fool

The Shadebinder's Oath

There's No Such Thing

Sliding on Rainbows

Saturday, April 01, 2006
My son, who plays with sharp objects.
It's wonderful having a son who's into martial arts, especially if you're a writer. Last night, I was stymied while writing a troublesome fight scene. Then my son Kevin happened to walk into the living room.

"Honey," I said, "let's say a monster appeared behind you, and wrapped its tentacle around your throat. What would you do?"

Kevin stopped, one foot frozen in mid-air. I don't know what he'd been planning to do, but he discarded it instantly, as he always does to the questions like these. What boy wouldn't?

"Do I have chain mail on, or armor?"

"Just a gorget, and leather armor. But you're a good fighter."

"Oh. Well, I'd grab my sword--"

"No sword. And you have to die at the end."

"Well, then, I'd grab my dagger, and spike up behind me like this . . ."

In no time, he'd fleshed out quite an involved battle, ending with a backflip off the castle wall, all of which he managed to demonstrate. --In spite of the fact that our living room doesn't have a castle wall.

"Great honey. Could you do it again in slow motion?"

Unfortunately, as fights involve more than one person, he can't always do the choreography on his own. I have to keep reminding him not to hurt his mother. Once he moves out, I'm going to have a really rough time. Thank heavens for unlimited phone calls between family members!

Jeanette
posted by Jeanette Cottrell @ 3:29 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jeanette Cottrell
Home:
About Me: Dragon Moon Press offers superb science fiction and fantasy titles. Now YOU can download the first chapters of these fine books for FREE. If this feature proves popular, we hope to expand our offerings.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Newsletter and More

Receive my Newsletter!
Type in your email addy.
Hosting by YMLP.com


BLOGGER